skip to navigationskip to main content

What you must tell HMRC

If your personal details change you may be required to notify HMRC as this can affect your entitlement to certain tax breaks and or benefits.

For example, you need to tell HMRC if:

  • you get married or form a civil partnership; or
  • you divorce, separate or stop living with your husband, wife or partner.

The sooner you advise HMRC the better as the change could result in you paying too much tax or paying too little and owing HMRC more money.

If you receive tax credits or Child Benefit you also need to tell HMRC separately about changes to your relationship or family.

In the sad event that your spouse or civil partner dies, it is also a requirement to report the death to HMRC as well as notifying of changes to your income. For example, the death of a spouse would mean that the surviving spouse was no longer entitled to claim the Married Couple's Allowance.

If you move home, it is advisable to let HMRC know as soon as possible so they can update your contact details. HMRC should also be informed if you change gender although the process is usually automatic when you change gender legally by applying for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

You must also notify HMRC about certain changes to your income such as when you start or stop receiving:

  • income from a new source, such as money from self-employment or rent from property;
  • taxable benefits, such as State Pension, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Carer’s Allowance;
  • benefits from your job, such as a company car;
  • income above your Personal Allowance;
  • money over £85,000 from self-employment (you must register for VAT over this amount);
  • lump sums from selling things you pay Capital Gains Tax on, such as shares or property that’s not your main home; and
  • income from property, money or shares you inherit, such as dividends from shares or rent from property.

Working with you

Whether you're starting from scratch or have been in business for years you'll benefit from working with D.R.E. & Co. advice on how to take you to the next level.


About us

We work closely with our clients and act for a broad range of business....


Get in touch

Simple way to contact us. Just fill in a simple form.


Our services

Find out details about what we can do
for you.